Thursday, December 20, 2007

My CD Player

I have really been using my cd player in my car instead of my cell phone (after receiving my cell phone bill this month). I have decided to talk to my husband, mom, and friends when I get home. So I thought about my music choices in my CD player on my long commute to work. I thought about the artists and the words of their lyrics. I thought about their journey in life and how it is transformed into their works.

Here's what is in my cd player:
1. Micheal Jackson (Thriller)-- Loved him since I was a little girl. This cd takes me back to a great place. I can remember watching him dance and thinking he is truly an awesome performer.
2. Ne-Yo (Because of you) -- like his music because he reminds me a little bit of Micheal Jackson. He has also been a songwriter for many years before becoming a singer, which I thought was interesting. He worked behind the scenes for a long time. I'm sure he learn the in and outs of the music industry along the way.
3. Chrisette Michele (I am)-- My husband gave me this cd and I love it. Her style is like nothing that I have ever heard. It is a mix of soul and blues. I can envision myself the places that she sings about. It's truly a great ride. She says she takes her life experiences and gives them to everyone who would listen. So I'm listening!!!!
4. Mary J. Blige (Growing Pains)-- my mom gave it to me. My favorite songs on this cd are "Work That" and "Just Fine". Work That---- "work what you got" So much in life we are not satisfied with what we have and we criticize why we are not like-- MISS THING. WHO CARES? I have decided that I'm working what I got. And in the end, I will be "JUST FINE"
5. Waiting on my Circuit Party music DVD--it will be in the 5th cd changer. I probably will write the synopsis without the music selection. But I'm going to give it until Saturday to come. If not, I will write it without the music selection on Saturday.

Each one of these artists has had a different musical journey and they use their music to express their journey. Each one of these artist have went down a different road and experience different things throughout their lives. I think that is what makes us who we are. I hope that my experiences are transformed into my works. I know my songs will be different than theirs. My moves will be different than theirs. My path will be different than theirs. But in the end we will work what we got.